A person died, what to do? First steps
What if a loved one died? Who do I call? What documents do I need to get? What things need to be prepared for the morgue? What are the prices for organizing a funeral or cremation?
In this situation, everyone has many questions. Let's look at the most common of them.
Who should I call when a person dies?
If you have grief and a person &ndash has died; call a doctor at the district health centre (if the death occurred at night, then an ambulance should be called) – this is necessary to establish the death. It is also necessary to call the police for a body examination protocol. Next you need to call the funeral agent. Remember, the sooner you call the funeral service, the more time we have to prepare the funeral.
There are two types of death:
- Court case: criminal, spontaneous death, with no chronic diseases.
- Normal physical death (usually people over 60 years old who have been observed by a family doctor and have records in a medical book for at least 3 months).
Remember the main thing - only you decide how to organize the funeral of someone close to you. This is regulated at the legislative level, namely the "Law of Ukraine on Burial and Funeral Case" (Vedomosti Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (VVR), 2004, N 7, Article 47) Article 6. The right of citizens to bury their bodies and the will to express the proper attitude to the body after death.
BE CAREFUL! MEDICAL AND POLICE OFFICERS WILL OFFER AND IMPOSE ON YOU THE SERVICES OF THEIR FUNERAL AGENTS. YOUR RIGHT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR SUGGESTIONS OR REFUSE. PRACTICE SHOWS THAT THE SERVICES OF SUCH FUNERAL AGENCIES ARE 30 PERCENT OR MORE EXPENSIVE.
When the police and ambulance arrive, you should move on to the most organizational part of the funeral. You can do this on your own or contact the Graale funeral home agents for assistance. We work around the clock, so we are always ready to provide full consultation and comprehensive organization of the funeral or cremation of your loved ones, taking into account all your wishes and customs.
What to do while the doctor and police are on their way?
The most important thing in this situation is to try to calm down and think soberly. Before the police and ambulance arrive, prepare the documents they will need:
- Your passport
- Passport of the deceased
- Deceased person's health insurance policy (if available)
What documents do you need to prepare?
Documents to be obtained for funeral or cremation:
- In a court case: the deceased is taken to an autopsy to find out the cause of death and obtain a medical certificate of death. Then you get permission from the prosecutor's office in your place of residence.
- In the standard case: obtain a medical certificate of death at the district health centre (at the place of residence). You will then receive a stamped death certificate from the civil registry office.
Funerals or cremations can be arranged on the basis of these documents.
What things need to be prepared for the morgue?
The medical staff will take care of getting the body of the deceased to the morgue. All you need to do is collect the necessary things that are traditionally used for funerals.
A list of necessary things to the morgue for a man:
- dark suit
- shirt and tie
- shaving machine, toilet water
- soap, hairbrush
- terry towel (small)
For a woman:
- long-sleeved dress (suit or robe)
- soap, hairbrush, toilet water
- terry towel (small)
What documents do I need to prepare for funeral or cremation?
Full list of documents that are needed for funeral or cremation in Kyiv:
- Certificate of Death (issued by the ambulance team)
- Medical certificate of death (issued by the outpatient clinic doctor or mortuary staff)
- Protocol on the examination of the corpse (issued by a police officer)
- The stamped death certificate of the civil registry office (issued by the civil registry office employees)
- Certificate of death (Form 33)
- Certificate of receipt of state funeral allowance (issued by employees of the civil registry office)
- Funeral service agreement (executed by a funeral service agent)
Specialists of the Graale funeral home will take on all the troubles associated with the execution of documents.
Please note that medical certificates of death are rarely drawn up by a doctor of the district polyclinic. Mostly for elderly people over 60 years of age, if more than 2 weeks have not passed since the last visit to the family doctor. Any corrections to the medical card are not allowed and will not be taken into account.
In other cases, a medical certificate of death is issued after a pathological or forensic examination at the morgue.